Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Eat Your Spinach.

It doesn't make sense to me, really, that it's so hard to get out of bed in the morning, but after being on my mat for half an hour, I feel so good. When I wake up, I'm sleepy and cranky and cold, and even the ten or so sets of surya namaskar that I did just made me feel awake and alive... and ready to face my last day of work.

So why is it so hard to do the things I need to do? This isn't the first time I've asked myself this question... it popped up once or twice (or every day) in college and grad school with the flute. Why is it so hard to get in the practice room when it feels so good to be there?

I wonder if this quote has something to do with it, at least for me:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most."
-Marianne Williamson

I actually think that sometimes I'm afraid of doing things that are good for me because I might succeed... and it's silly. I feel like Popeye, afraid to eat spinach because then I'll be strong. I think this feeling is something that I'll have to confront head-on, especially because I'm trying to find students on my own, rather than another job.

2 comments:

  1. Do we share a brain??

    Anyway...you can totally find students. If I can do it...you can SO do it. You will find your way...I'm sure of it.

    :)

    I have spinach growing on my back porch and you are MORE than welcome to come and eat it. Anytime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...and I'm really proud of you for quitting!!!

    ReplyDelete