Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Yoga Is All Around

I've had this obsession since I was little with being individual. It's a weird thing. I always wanted to read the books that nobody else in my age group was reading (like Les Miserables in middle school... that was before I attempted [and failed at] the French version). I want to have a unique subset of talents, because I feel like it gives me a sense of identity. When I was at MSU, I felt like I had no identity as a flute player until I started to develop into "that flute player who teaches music history and can probably help me edit my paper." I don't know why it is that I've always needed to stand out so much, although I'm sure it has to do with a subset of insecurities that probably stem from decades ago.

In any case, I'm sure I'm not the only ethnoflautoyogini ever on the face of the earth. In fact, I'm pretty sure Krishna was all of those things, in a way. I feel strangely compelled to defend my title, though, and to add more little things to make sure that I'm the most oddly-accredited person in the world, just in case anybody needs an ethnographer who also knows how to play flute and teach Hatha. I think what I'm trying to express is that ultimately, I've always been fine with nobody else doing the things I do. More individuality for me.

Then I had this thought the other day while watching this: yoga could solve a lot of problems for a lot of people. It should be so obvious, but I hadn't actually considered that getting more people to do yoga is a good thing, not only for me personally but for the rest of the world. A peaceful and meditative mindset could stop a lot of bad things from happening, and could stop a lot of hurt and fear. I'm not saying that yoga makes people perfect, but I do think that it causes us to confront ourselves in a way that is totally uncomfortable, but ultimately good. I have a suspicion that it may be difficult to bomb people if we're aware of ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment